At least six civilians, including children, were killed and a dozen more were wounded in Russian airstrikes that hit the northern province of Idleb, rescuing workers said Wednesday.
The strikes targeted the town of Maarret al-Numan and an array of surrounding villages.
Wounded civilians were taken to the hospital in the Reyhanli district of Hatay, a southern Turkish province bordering Syria, according to Anadolu Agency.
Over the last month, The death toll from the attacks on residential areas in the Idleb de-escalation zone amounted to 75, including 13 children, said the White Helmets.
According to Syria’s Response Coordination Group, a local non-governmental organization, the attacks by the Assad regime and its supporter Russia, within the Idleb de-escalation zone, have displaced some 40,000 civilians in the first half of November.
The Idleb region, which is home to some 3 million people, including many displaced by Syria’s eight-year war, is controlled by the country’s former al-Qaeda affiliate.
In April, Assad’s forces launched a blistering military campaign against Idleb, killing around 1,000 civilians and displacing more than 400,000 people from their homes.
A ceasefire announced by Russia late August has largely held since, although dozens of civilians have been killed in sporadic bombardments since then.
Last month, Bashar al-Assad said Idleb was standing in the way of an end to the civil war that has ravaged his country through most of the current decade.
Assad, who now controls around 60 percent of the country, has vowed to reclaim the rest, including Idleb and small pockets in Lattakia.
Eight years of war in Syria has killed 560,000 people and driven half the pre-war population of 22 million from their homes, including more than 6 million as refugees to neighbouring countries.
This article was edited by The Syrian Observer. The Syrian Observer has not verified the content of this story. Responsibility for the information and views set out in this article lies entirely with the author.