The official spokesman for the Ahrar al-Sham rebel group, Abou Youssef al-Muhajir, said on Tuesday that breaking the siege on Aleppo is imminent, while the intensity of the fighting was increasing between the opposition forces and those of the regime and foreign allied militias.
The spokesman said in an interview with Al Jazeera that the Assad forces were collapsing quickly, adding that, “The aim of the battle is to end the siege on half a million Syrians blockaded inside the city. The opposition is moving to the third stage of this battle.”
On Monday, the spokesman for Ahrar al-Sham — one of the main factions participating in the battle to break the siege on Aleppo, along with factions from the Free Syrian Army and Islamist brigades — had published the official death toll for the number of regime fighters since the start of the battle.
He said that 80 fighters from the regime forces had been killed so far, while the opposition had destroyed seven military vehicles. According to the information, opposition fighters also seized a number of heavy vehicles and advanced weapons.
Syrian opposition fighters on Monday were able to take control of the Mahrouqat hill south of the village of Sharfa, after a heavy battle with Assad regime forces and allied militias.
The opposition has taken control of the following areas: Al-Amariyeh village, Sater al-Sabaqiyeh, Muta hill, Al-Muhba hill, Kateebat al-Suwareekh, Hikmeh school, Ahad hill, Sharfa village, and the al-Nasr 1070 district.
This article was translated and edited by The Syrian Observer. Responsibility for the information and views set out in this article lies entirely with the author.