Death Toll of Azaz Car Bombing Rises to 60: Medical Sources

Huge explosion in rebel-held Azaz, near the border with Turkey, on Saturday kills and injures over a hundred people

The toll of a car-bomb explosion which occurred in the rebel-held city of Azaz in the northern countryside of Aleppo province rose to 60 dead and more than 50 wounded, according to a medical source.

The source who asked to remain anonymous told the Anadolu agency that “the attack resulted in the death of at least 60 civilians and wounded more than 50 others with various injuries.”

Field sources inside the city said that a number of facilities had gone out of service inside Azaz because of the explosion, including the central county, the Red Crescent center, the media office, the center for people with disabilities, the post office and the municipal office.

The ‘Azaz Alternative News’ page on Facebook said that “search operations for survivors and dead under the rubble are ongoing with many still buried.” It said that there were 35 unidentified corpses currently being held at the Azaz hospital.

In a related context, Anadolu reported that 23 people wounded by the explosion had been transported to Kilis province in southern Turkey on the border with Syria and had arrived to the hospital there.

The city of Azaz has experienced a number of explosions over the last two years, most of them car bombs carried out by Islamic State members.

This article was translated and edited by The Syrian Observer. Responsibility for the information and views set out in this article lies entirely with the author.

News



Recommend article

Sender's Name:
Sender's Email:
Receiver's Name:
Receiver's Email: