UN Official: Assad Regime Delays Entry of Aid to the al-Rukban Camp

The al-Rukban camp is home to around 60,000 people, who are living in dire circumstances writes Alsouria.

On Tuesday, the United Nations announced that a delivery of humanitarian aid into the al-Rukban camp in southwestern Syria was postponed due to obstacles placed by the Bashar al-Assad regime.

The coordinator for Syrian humanitarian aid at the UN, Ali al-Zaatari, said that since last January, the Bashar al-Assad regime had refused to allow humanitarian aid caravans into the al-Rukban camp.

He added in a statement that the United Nations had previously announced its intent to send an aid caravan on Oct. 27, 2018, and it has been delayed due to obstacles placed by the Assad regime.

Zaatari said that the discussions with the Assad regime to allow in the aid caravans and ensure the safety of humanitarian aid workers were ongoing.

The al-Rukban camp, known as the “Camp of Death”, is inhabited by about 60,000 people in dire conditions, and is under the control of the Free Syrian Army.

The Assad regime is blockading residents of the camp, who came from various Syrian cities fleeing bombardment by its forces and the terrorism of the Islamic State, and now live in tents in the barren desert.

 

This article was translated and edited by The Syrian Observer. Responsibility for the information and views set out in this article lies entirely with the author.

News



Recommend article

Sender's Name:
Sender's Email:
Receiver's Name:
Receiver's Email: