De Mistura Announces Peace Talks to Resume in February 2017

UN envoy says talks between the Syrian government and the Riyadh-backed opposition will take place early next year after negotiations reached an impasse earlier in April

The UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura said that the Syrian-Syrian dialogue will be resumed in Geneva on February 8, 2017, according to AFP.

The latest round of Geneva talks reached a deadlock on April 27 and was limited to meetings between the Syrian government’s delegation and the UN special envoy due to the opposition delegation’s negative stance that suspended its participation.

Earlier, the UN Security Council unanimously adopted a draft resolution to deploy observers in Aleppo in order to monitor the evacuation of terrorists and their families from the city and the delivery of humanitarian aid.

This article was edited by The Syrian Observer. Responsibility for the information and views set out in this article lies entirely with the author.


Recommend article

Sender's Name:
Sender's Email:
Receiver's Name:
Receiver's Email: