The Kurdish-led Raqqa local council has transferred the contents of two mass graves, holding 500 bodies of civilians and Islamic State (ISIS) jihadists, out of the city, local activists told Zaman al-Wasl Saturday.
The move came as local organizations and civil community work to rehabilitate and reconstruct the city of Raqqa, ISIS' one-time capital, since its fall in October 2017.
Abdul Aziz al-Metleq, a Raqqa-based activist, said most of the mass graves' victims were killed by U.S.-led coalition airstrikes and by the YPG-led Syrian Democratic Forces.
None of decomposed bodies were identified, according Metleq.
Regime forces also found a mass graves near Tabqa air base, containing the bodies of 60 troops killed by ISIS in 2014. The bodies have been moved to Aleppo military hospital.
Last year, two mass graves were also discovered in Raqqa.
This article was edited by The Syrian Observer. Responsibility for the information and views set out in this article lies entirely with the author.