The Syrian Response Coordination Team said that the southern Idleb countryside witnessed fresh displacements from Aug. 11 to Aug. 14, 2019.
On Wednesday, the group issued a statement in which it said that more than 14,216 families—equal to about 92,119 people—had recently been displaced from the southern Idleb countryside and northern Hama countryside to “relatively safe” areas in the country.
The statement added that over the previous 24 hours, more than 6,000 families (40,000 people) had been displaced, most of them now living out in the open by the main roads.
The group called on the relevant bodies and local actors to secure new shelter centers and urgently open schools and camps to, “absorb the enormous human mass that is continuing to be displaced towards the areas of northern Syria.”
The team added in the statement that, “The Syrian Response Coordination Team calls on all humanitarian organizations and agencies to urgently mobilize to provide a humanitarian response and to increase the effectiveness of humanitarian operations in the area.”
Meanwhile, the Syrian Civil Defense said that 750,000 Syrians had been displaced due to the attacks carried out by the Assad regime, Russia, and Iranian-backed groups in the Hama and Idleb countryside since the start of the campaign.
It added that “Russian and Assad attacks over Eid al-Adha forced civilians in the Idleb and Hama countrysides to leave their homes and to flee towards unknown locations to escape the tide of death.”
The southern Idleb countryside and northern Hama countryside have witnessed a military campaign that the Syrian regime began in April, which has killed some 500 civilians and displaced more than 440,000 people, according to numbers published by the United Nations.
Fighting has recently raged on the western outskirts of the city of Khan Sheikhoun in the southern Idleb countryside between rebel groups and Assad’s forces, which have advanced to take over three towns in the Idleb countryside.
The advance of Assad’s forces has been accompanied by air bombardments by Russian warplanes and helicopters on the towns and villages in the demilitarized zone agreed upon in the Sochi deal between Turkey and Russia last year.
This article was translated and edited by The Syrian Observer. The Syrian Observer has not verified the content of this story. Responsibility for the information and views set out in this article lies entirely with the author.