On Monday, the Turkish Interior Minister, Suleyman Soylu, announced that the person who planted a bomb on Istiklal Street in Istanbul which killed at least six people has been arrested.
Soylu accused the PKK of responsibility for the deadly attack in Istanbul.
“According to our conclusions, the PKK terrorist organization is responsible” for the attack, Soylu said. He announced the arrest of a person accused of placing the bomb on Istiklal Street.
A few hours ago, Turkish media published pictures of a woman who they said might be the suspect in the Taksim blast. The blast killed six people and injured dozens.
Turkish broadcaster OdaTv tweeted that a woman left a suitcase that caused the explosion.
The channel published a photo of a woman it said may be the suspect in the attack.
Many social media accounts posted a picture of the woman wearing camouflage pants and a hijab, with a large bag on her back.
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Vice President Fuat Oktay had earlier said a “woman” was responsible for the attack. However, the interior minister did not speak about it on Monday.
Six people were killed and 81 wounded on Sunday during an explosion that rocked the busy pedestrian Istiklal Street in central Istanbul in an incident that President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said was carried out with a bomb and “reeks of terrorism”.
Remarks by the Syrian Observer:
The Commander-in-Chief of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) Mazloum Abdi denied on Monday their involvement in the blast.
Abdi said in a tweet, “We affirm that our forces [SDF] have nothing to do with the Istanbul bombing and reject the allegations accusing our forces of that.
We express our sincere condolences to the families of the missing and the Turkish people, and we wish a speedy recovery for the injured.”
This article was translated and edited by The Syrian Observer. The Syrian Observer has not verified the content of this story. Responsibility for the information and views set out in this article lies entirely with the author.