The Syrian regime has committed more than 3,174 ceasefire violations in northwestern Syria since Mar. 5, 2020, with its forces deliberately targeting residential areas in the Idleb countryside to prevent the return of the displaced to their homes, Syria’s Response Coordinators Group (SRCG) said Saturday.
The local monitoring group reported that since the ceasefire was announced until Oct. 16, 2020, the regime committed more than 3,174 violations, including the targeting by Russian warplanes and drones that led to the killing of 33 civilians, and the targeting of the 17 most essential buildings in the region.
The SRCG said that, “We strongly condemn the ongoing violations in northwestern Syria by regime and Russian forces,” which they say has delayed the return of hundreds of civilians to the area and displaced a number of families once again.
Idleb province is home to 3.5 million civilians, according to the United Nations.
The group urged the involved countries to maintain the ceasefire in order to secure the safe return of the displaced, and asked them to pressure the regime to stop the recent violations and warned of the return of military operations in the region, which would be on a larger scale than what was previously witnessed.
Turkey, which backs rebels opposed to Bashar al-Assad, agreed a ceasefire with Russia last March after months of fighting, which displaced nearly a million people in Idleb. Moscow supports Syrian regime forces.
This article was edited by The Syrian Observer. The Syrian Observer has not verified the content of this story. Responsibility for the information and views set out in this article lies entirely with the author.