Eleven people were killed or wounded on Wednesday in the country’s southern province of Suweida in a blast thought to have been a suicide bomb.
The explosion, which occurred on the Kanawat Road in Suweida city, was heard throughout the city and killed three people and wounded eight.
A medical source in the province’s health directorate told Suweida Network 24 that, “the toll recorded by the Suweida National Hospital so far is three civilians killed, identified as engineer Samer Abou Zeidan, as well as two mutilated bodies, one identified as Sultan Munzer based on a personal ID found in his possession, and another identified by some people present as Majed Salam.”
The source added that there were eight wounded, one in critical condition and that, “the hospitals in the province raised a state of alert after the explosion, and there have been no new cases apart from those noted coming to the Suweida National Hospital, and no information about the suicide bomber as of yet.”
Sources in the provinces suggested that, “security information indicates that an unidentified suicide bomber riding a motorcycle blew himself up on the Kanawat Road, which was crowded with people, but the information has not yet confirmed how he blew himself up.”
According to the same source, there were conflicting reports, “about the incident, which occurred near the al-Sayyad restaurant on the Kanawat Road on Wednesday evening. Witnesses said that a person on a motorcycle blew himself up among a group of people after shouting phrases that weren’t clearly heard.”
This article was translated and edited by The Syrian Observer. Responsibility for the information and views set out in this article lies entirely with the author.