Assad Warns U.S. Against Military Action

The basic repercussion would be a ball of fire that would burn not only Syria but the whole Middle East, Assad's Minister of Information has said

The regime government has warned the US not to launch any military action against the country over an alleged chemical-weapons attack earlier in the week, saying that such a move would set the Middle East ablaze.

 

Saturday’s statement by Omran al-Zoubi, Assad's information minister, came on the same day that US President Barack Obama held a meeting with his top military and national security advisers to explore options to resolve the Syrian crisis.

 

Thousands of people suffered neurotoxic symptoms and 355 of them died following Wednesday’s alleged chemical-weapons attack in Damascus, aid groupMedecins Sans Frontieres said on Saturday.

 

 The development has put on pressure the US to look into various options on Syria as Obama defined the use of chemical weapons as his “red line” in the crisis.

 

 World powers have repeatedly urged Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to allow UN chemical weapons inspectors to examine the sites where chemical weapons were allegedly used.

 

In an interview with the Lebanon-based Al-Mayadeen TV, Zoubi dismissed the possibility of a US attack, saying that such a move would risk spawning more violence in the region.

 

"The basic repercussion would be a ball of fire that would burn not only Syria but the whole Middle East," he said. "An attack on Syria would be no easy trip."

 

 In Tehran, Abbas Arakji, Iran's foreign ministry spokesman, warned that a US military intervention in Syria would "complicate matters".

 

 "Sending warships will not solve the problems but will worsen the situation," Arakji said in comments carried by Iran's Arabic-language TV Al-Alam.

 

 He said any such US move does not have international backing and that Iran "rejects military solutions".

 

......

News



Recommend article

Sender's Name:
Sender's Email:
Receiver's Name:
Receiver's Email: