The number of Syrian refugees registered in Turkey under temporary protection (Kimlik) has reached its lowest level in seven years, declining since the beginning of 2023, according to recent statistics released by the Turkish Immigration Presidency.
Data from the Immigration Presidency reveals that the number of Syrian refugees under temporary protection in Turkey has decreased by 247,143 people since the start of 2023, with a further reduction of 19,127 individuals in October compared to September.
As per the latest statistics, the current count of registered Syrian refugees in Turkey stands at 3,288,755, marking a significant drop from previous years.
The age distribution data provided by the Presidency of Immigration indicates that men constitute 52.4% of the registered Syrian refugees, with women comprising the remaining 47.6%. Disparities in gender ratios become more pronounced in the 25 to 29 age groups, while the number of women surpasses that of men in the over-45 age groups.
Furthermore, the statistics highlight that 97.7% of Syrians reside in urban areas, their distribution varying in line with population density and residential preferences.
Among Turkish governorates hosting Syrian refugees, Istanbul ranks first with 532,235 refugees, followed by Gaziantep and Şanlıurfa. Kilis leads in terms of the density of Syrians compared to the local Turkish population, with a proportion of 39.9%. This is demonstrated by the presence of 147,919 Turkish citizens in Kilis alongside 75,972 registered Syrians.
The decline in the number of Syrians registered in Turkey can be attributed to a combination of factors, including forced deportations to northern Syria and the departure of many Syrians to European Union countries. As a result, Turkey has become a less favoured destination for Syrians seeking work, protection, or residence.
In recent developments, Turkish authorities forcibly deported 455 Syrian refugees, including women and children, through the Bab al-Salama, Tal Abyad, and Bab al-Hawa border crossings that separate the opposition-controlled areas in northern Syria, as reported by local news networks two days ago.
This article was translated and edited by The Syrian Observer. The Syrian Observer has not verified the content of this story. Responsibility for the information and views set out in this article lies entirely with the author.