The Press Freedom Committee at the Syrian Journalists Association has documented killing 18 journalist in January and 8 media activists last December 2012 to increase the victims to 127 professional or citizen journalists have died since the beginning of the civil war in 2011 and who have died as a result of their reporting.
Yves Debay, a Belgium journalist reporting for the French magazine Assault, was shot by a sniper stationed on the building of the central prison in Aleppo on 17 January. Debye covered several hot spots around the world, such as the Lebanese civil war, and the second Gulf War, the war in Yugoslavia, and the war in Afghanistan.
Mohamed Al-Messalmah, a Syrian journalist also known as Mohamed Al-Horani, was killed the next day while covering fighting in Bousra Al-Harir, a suburb of the southern city of Deraa. He worked for Al Jazeera TV as a reporter.
Al-Jazeera said Al-Horani was killed by a regular army sniper. Aged 33, he had worked for the Qatar-based TV news channel for more than a year. He had previously been an anti-government activist.
Three journalists from" network of free media" are being targeted by a mortar shell, Abdul Karim Nazir Ismail, Issam Obeid, Louay Nimer, led them to death in Arbin town in Damascus suburbs. On 01/31/2013.
Victims of December (2012)
1. Naji al-Asaad, a journalist: was killed in front of his house in al-Taddamun neighborhood in Damascus, on 04-12-2012. Naji al-Asaad a retired journalist worked with Tishreen state newspaper. He was newspaper editor secretary, and head of Investigations section. After his retirement, he ran readers page at the newspaper.
2. Mohamed Khair Sheikh Qwaider, a citizen journalist: was killed in a battle between the Free Syrian Army and the Syrian regime army, in Erbeen town in Damascus suburbs on 06-12-2012. Sheikh Qwaider was ran page "We are all Erbeen martyrs" on Facebook. He was a member of the Erbeen coordinating in the Syrian revolution. He was one of the first journalists in town Erbeen. He contributed to documenting the names of the revolution martyrs and detainees.
3. Mohammed al-Beesh, a citizen journalist: was killed during bombing of Daria in Damascus suburbs on 07-12-2012.
4. Ahmed Abdul Salam Leila, a media activist: was killed while covering battle of Infantry Military College in Andan town in Aleppo. On 15-12-2012.
5. Abdul Karim al-Ezzo, a citizen journalist: was shot by a sniper in al-Abbasia neighborhood in Homs, on 21-12-2012.
6. Yasser Shaaban, a media activist: was killed by a bomb in Dara Azaa town in Aleppo. On 25-12-2012. Shaaban was an activist with Aleppo News Network, and Syrian Revolution General Commission.
7. Abu Yazan al-Hamwi, a media activist: shot by a sniper while escorting Aljazeera live team in Wadi al-Daif region in Idlib countryside on 26-12-2012.
8. Abdul Razak Abdul Rahim Al-Zoubi, a media activist: was killed during bombing of Tafas town in Daraa. 30-12-2012.
Victims of January (2013)
9. Yasser Muwaffaq Nadam, a media activist: was killed during a clashes between the Free Syrian Army and the Syrian Regime Army in Douma town, in Damascus suburbs . On 02-01-2013.
10. Khaled Mohammed al-Khatib, a citizen journalist: was killed during an air raid on al-Medmah Sham town in Damascus suburbs, on 04-01-2013. Al-Khatib was director of the Press Office of al-Medmah Local Council.
11. Motaz Khalil Mansour, a photographer and media activist: was killed during an air raid on al-Medmah Sham town in Damascus suburbs, on 04-01-2013. Mansour was the most important photographer in al-Medmah town. He filmed dozens videos during shelling his town.
12. Sohail Mahmoud Ali, a journalist and a cameraman: was killed during coverage armed clashes taking in Aleppo, while he was present in the area belonging to the Syrian Army Regime, according to the Syrian Human Rights Observatory. On 04-01-2013. Ali was working with al-Dunia channel which is close to the Syrian regime.
13. Ahmad Koussa, a media activist: shot by a sniper in the Yarmouk refugee camp in Damascus. On 07-01-2013.
14. Basim Fawaz Zoubi, a media activist: was killed by Syrian regime forces in Daraa, on 13-01-2013.
15. Ahmed Asaad Shehab, a media activist: was executed by the regime troops after storming al-Hasawiyeh in Homs province, on 15-01-2013.
16. Yves Debay, a Belgian-born French journalist : was killed by a sniper, in Aleppo. On 17-01-2013. Debay was based in Aleppo, where he covered clashes between the Syrian Regime Army (SRA) and Free Syrian Army (FSA) in the city for his online newsmagazine (Assault) . A veteran military correspondent, he contributed reports for the French military magazine Raid, and had written several books about military conflicts. Debay covered the second Gulf War, Lebanese civil war Yugoslavia war, and Afghanistan war.
17. Muhammad al-Mesalma (al-Hourani), an Al-Jazeera reporter: was killed by a sniper in Daraa, on 18-01-2013. al-Mesalma was shot while reporting on fighting in Basri Al-Hariri village in Daraa province. Al-Mesalma reported for al-Jazeera about a year on ongoing military clashes between the Syrian Regime Army (SRA) and Free Syrian Army (FSA) in Darra.
18. Amjad al-Sioufi, a media activist: was killed during shelling on East Gouta in Damascus suburbs, on 18-01-2013.
19. Munir al-Namous, a media activist: was shot by a sniper in Madaya town of in Damascus suburbs. On 18-01-2012.
20. Faisal Al-Basha, a media activist: was killed in Ras al-Ain town in Hasaka, on 01/18/2013.
21. Qasim Khalil al-Maaishi, a media activist: was killed in Ras al-Ain in Hasaka. On 18-01-2013.
22. Yesr Fawaz Zoubi, a media activist: was killed during clashes between the Free Syrian Army and the Syrian Regime Army in Busr al-Harir village in Darra. On 20-01-2013.
23. Mohammed Abdel-Rahman, a sports journalist: was assassinated with his father in Tishreen neighborhood in Damascus. On 26-01-2013. Abdul Rahman was working for "Syrian Soccer" sport website.
24. Abdul Karim Nazir Ismail, a media activist: was targeted by a mortar shelling with a group of Free Syrian Army in Arbin town in Damascus suburbs. On 31-01-2013.
25. Issam Obeid, a media activist: was targeted by a mortar shelling with a group of Free Syrian Army in Arbin town in Damascus suburbs. On 31-01-2013.
26. Loay al-Nimer a media activist: was targeted by a mortar shelling with a group of Free Syrian Army in Arbin town in Damascus suburbs. On 31-01-2013.