President Bashar Assad’s office denied on Wednesday reports that the Syrian leader’s residence in Damascus had been the target of an attack.
State news agency SANA quoted the media office of the Syrian presidency as saying “reports on some media outlets of the targeting of the house of President Bashar Assad in Damascus are completely false.”
Several media outlets earlier reported that Assad’s home, in the neighborhood of Malki, had been targeted.
This is the second claim made by rebels that Assad had been targeted personally.
Last week, opposition media reports said rebels targeted Assad’s motorcade when he was traveling to Eid al-Fitr prayers.
Residents in the area confirmed that at least three mortars or small rockets landed as his convoy as it arrived at the Anas Bin Malik mosque for prayers to mark the beginning of the three-day Islamic holiday celebrating the end of Ramadan.
Syria's information minister, Omran al-Zoubi, later denied any attack had taken place and said Assad was safe and well. Two rebel groups who claimed to have launched the attack said there were some casualties and damage to at least one vehicle.
Two rebel groups who claimed to have launched the attack said there were some casualties and damage to at least one vehicle.