The Health Ministry said that no cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) have been registered in Syria so far, and that it continues to take stringent preventative measures as per the recommendations of the World Health Organization (WHO).
In a statement on Tuesday, the ministry said it took a number of measures including forming a central emergency committee and subcommittees in each health department in every province.
The statement said the ministry has devised a national work plan to confront the virus, in addition to the instructions for the measures to be taken at border crossing points and health centers.
The measures include quarantine facilities for suspected cases along with medical staff trained to deal with such situations who are equipped with protective equipment as well as the equipment for collecting test samples.
The ministry said medical laboratories have been provided with diagnosis kits to detect the virus, in addition to providing training, medical supplies, ambulances, and mobile clinics to monitor the health status of arrivals to the country around the clock.
The ministry is also collecting the contact information and travel history of arrivals, to follow up on their health conditions.
The statement advised citizens to adhere to personal hygiene and to cover the mouth and nose when sneezing or coughing.
The statement concluded by saying that all developments in Syria related to the virus will be published via SANA and the ministry’s official website and Facebook account.
This article was edited by The Syrian Observer. The Syrian Observer has not verified the content of this story. Responsibility for the information and views set out in this article lies entirely with the author.